Skip to content
popcorn dietJoe Segen2016-12-26T19:26:05+00:00
Any of a number of fad diets in which popcorn is consumed either as a low-calorie snack or as a replacement for entire meals.
The original popcorn diet (The Popcorn Plus Diet) was formulated by J Herskowitz, MD. Key features include setting of a reasonable goal for weight loss, and the ad lib consumption of air-detonated popcorn as a replacement for other calorie-drenched snacks.
• Popcorn is high in dietary fibre
• Hot-air popcorn is ultra low in calories and fat.
• Popcorn is available in several varieties
• Popcorn has more calories and fat than potato chips, especially with added butter
• Salted popcorn is extremely high in sodium.
• Popcorn by itself is boring, inviting “add-ons”–e.g., butter.
• Corn blocks B vitamin absorption*
*Extreme vitamin B deficiency has been linked to rashes, depression, anaemia, memory loss, low energy levels.
• Corn is allergenic
• Corn may rarely trigger anaphylaxis
References The Popcorn Plus Diet, Pharos Books, 1987, NYC