Middle East respiratory syndromeJoe Segen2016-12-26T01:22:12+00:00
Bedouin kissing GF
Middle East respiratory syndrome
EPIDEMIOLOGY, INFECTIOUS DISEASE
A viral respiratory illness first reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012 caused by a novel coronavirus known as MERS-CoV.
Clinical findings Severe acute respiratory illness with fever, cough, and shortness of breath; half of those infected have died.
Countries with confirmed cases
Middle East respiratory syndrome epidemiology
• Arab countries Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Tunisia, UAE
• Europe France, Italy, UK, USA (2 patients)
There have been no new reported cases in the USA since 2014
Animal vector Camel
• Obsessive hand washing
• Avoid close contact with MERS patients
• Don’t touch mucocutaneous surfaces with hands
• Disinfect surfaces
• And don’t ever, EVER kiss your camel*
*No matter how sexy she looks…did you hear me Ahmad?