A popular UK term for a GP–general practitioner with a specialty interest and/or skill–e.g., dermatology, gynaecology, geriatrics–who may have earned a diploma in the area of interest, but is not per se a specialist (consultant) or fellow of the Royal College for that particular specialty. 

Reference Mental Health Review Journal 2000; 5:6-13


A US term for a physician trained in a specialty for which there are too many specialists for the number of patients with the special problems or diseases for which the specialty was created. As here defined, specialoids often become deskilled, because they spend their professional time treating non-referral (non-specialty) cases. 

Reference NEJM 1993; 328:940, ref 6 

Yup, two countries separated by a common language…

Leave A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.