A field of alternative health care which explores the effect of dietary and environmental allergens on health and disease. Environmental medicine (EM) is believed by its practitioners (so-called clinical ecologists) to address a wide range of conditions–see below. The intent of EM is to identify toxins through elimination diets, skin testing, provocation/ neutralisation testing, electroacupuncture, biofeedback, and radioallergosorbent testing, and reduce patient exposure to noxious agents in the environment.
Disease allegedly managed by environmental medicine
• Cardiovascular–angina, arrhythmia, thrombophlebitis, vasculitis
• Paediatric–bedwetting, chronic otitis, learning disabilities
• Endocrine–autoimmune thyroiditis, hypoglycemia
• ENT–allergies, sinus headaches, vertigo
• Gastrointestinal–bloating, constipation, gastritis, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome
• Gynaecologic–dyspareunia, premenstrual syndrome
• Skin–angiooedema, eczema
• Neuromuscular–epilepsy, headaches, migraines, myalgias
• Psychiatric–anxiety, ADD/ADHD, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, sexual dysfunction
• Rheumatic–rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus
• Etc., etc., etc.