Skip to content
You are here
Geriatric Depression Scale – Short version
Geriatric Depression Scale – Short version [Explained]
Feel free to use our complete database with charts, tables and examples.
Geriatric Depression Scale (Short version)
Geriatric Depression Scale -GDS (short version). Assessment tool for depression - 15-item self-report assessment used to identify depression in the elderly.
MOOD ASSESSMENT SCALE
Choose the best answer for how you have felt over the past week
1. Are you basically satisfied with your life?
2. Have you dropped many of your activities and interests?
3. Do you feel that your life is empty?
4. Do you often get bored?
5. Are you in good spirits most of the time?
6. Are you afraid that something bad is going to happen to you?
7. Do you feel happy most of the time?
8. Do you often feel helpless?
9. Do you prefer to stay at home, rather than going out and doing new things?
10. Do you feel you have more problems with memory than most?
11. Do you think it is wonderful to be alive now?
12. Do you feel pretty worthless the way you are now?
13. Do you feel full of energy?
14. Do you feel that your situation is hopeless?
15. Do you think that most people are better off than you are?
Brink TL, Yesavage JA, Lum O, Heersema P, Adey MB, Rose TL: Screening tests for geriatric depression. Clinical Gerontologist 1: 37-44, 1982.
Yesavage JA, Brink TL, Rose TL, Lum O, Huang V, Adey MB, Leirer VO: Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: A preliminary report. Journal of Psychiatric Research 17: 37- 49, 1983.
Sheikh JI, Yesavage JA: Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS): Recent evidence and development of a shorter version. Clinical Gerontology : A Guide to Assessment and Intervention 165-173, NY: The Haworth Press, 1986.
Sheikh JI, Yesavage JA, Brooks JO, III, Friedman LF, Gratzinger P, Hill RD, Zadeik A, Crook T: Proposed factor structure of the Geriatric Depression Scale. International Psychogeriatrics 3: 23- 28, 1991.
Geriatrics and related calculators
Calculators / Tools
Activities of daily living
(ADL) assessment tool
Androgen Deficiency in Aging Males
Aging Males’ Symptom (AMS) scale
– New Patient-specific reporting possible
Berg Balance Scale
– Fall risk/balance assessment
Geriatric changes with age
Geriatric Depression Scale
(GDS) – Short Version
Geriatric Depression Scale
(GDS) – Long Version
International Index of Erectile Function
International Prostate Symptom Score
Medication Appropriateness Index Calc
Overactive Bladder 8-question Screener
Overactive Bladder Symptom Score
SLUMS-Screening for Cognitive Impairment in Older Adults
Urinary Incontinence Treatment /Symptom Calculator
Medical Articles & News
Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment