Skip to content
You are here
Child-Turcotte-Pugh Score -chronic liver disease
Child-Turcotte-Pugh Score -chronic liver disease [Explained]
Feel free to use our complete database with charts, tables and examples.
Child-Turcotte-Pugh Score -Classification of liver dysfunction
The Child–Pugh score is used to assess the prognosis of chronic liver disease, mainly cirrhosis. Although it was originally used to predict mortality during surgery, it is now used to determine the prognosis, as well as the required strength of treatment and the necessity of liver transplantation.
, mg/dl (umol/l):
<4 seconds (<1.7)
4-6 seconds (1.7-2.3)
>6 seconds (>2.3)
Child CG, Turcotte JG. Surgery and portal hypertension. In: The liver and portal hypertension. Edited by CG Child. Philadelphia: Saunders 1964:50-64.
Pugh RNH, Murray-Lyon IM, Dawson JL, Pietroni MC, Williams R. Transection of the esophagus in bleeding oesophageal varices. Br J Surg 1973;60:648-52.
Gastroenterology and related calculators
Calculators / Tools
Gastrointestinal Diseases- an overview
– Stratification of risk of death in alcoholic hepatitis (AH)
Alcoholic Hepatitis Histological Score (AHHS)
- Prognostic Stratification of Alcoholic Hepatitis
-chronic liver disease - used to assess the prognosis of chronic liver disease, mainly cirrhosis. Although it was originally used to predict mortality during surgery, it is now used to determine the prognosis, as well as the required strength of treatment and the necessity of liver transplantation.
Crohn's Disease Activity Index (CDAI)
- The CDAI is an important research tool for quantifying symptoms as well as determining the impact of drug therapy on overall symptoms.
- Risk stratification of upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage -UGIB
Glasgow alcoholic hepatitis score (GAHS)
predicts survival from alcoholic hepatitis with respect to individual Glasgow alcoholic hepatitis score (GAHS) values
Glasgow-Blatchford bleeding score (GBS)
- Screening tool for acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding (UGIB)
- useful tool for assessing the degree of illness (activity) in patient's with Crohn's disease
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Lille Model Scoring in Severe Alcoholic Hepatitis
- helps to identify patients 'early' with severe alcoholic hepatitis that are likely to respond to steroid therapy or who will require alternative treatment options.
Mayo Scoring System for Assessment of Ulcerative Colitis
MELD Score (Model For End-Stage Liver Disease)
-useful tool in predicting the probability of death from liver disease and how urgently an individual needs a liver transplant in the next three months.
MELD-Na Score (Model For End-Stage Liver Disease)
-United Network for Organ Sharing proposed that MELD-Na score (an extension of MELD) may better rank candidates based on their risk of pre-transplant mortality and is projected to save 50-60 lives total per year.
Modified Maddrey's discriminant function (mDF)
- (Score) is a predictive statistical model useful for evaluating the severity and prognosis in alcoholic hepatitis
mortality risk for acute pancreatitis- clinical prediction rule for predicting the prognosis and mortality risk of acute pancreatitis.
for the evaluation of upper gastrointestinal bleeding - based on clinical criteria including age, shock and presence of other comorbidities. The scoring system helps evaluate patients at risk of re-bleeding or death following acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding
Rome iii criteria for IBS
Rome IV diagnostic criteria
-Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Stool Osmotic Gap
- Secretory vs Osmotic diarrhea