Travel Medicine is the subspecialty of internal medicine which studies and manages health issues, vaccination, preventing infections, injuries, and other conditions related to international travel.
Travel medicine is an eclectic mix of health care which takes cues from epidemiology, infectious disease, public health, tropical medicine, high altitude physiology, obstetrics, psychiatry, occupational medicine, military and migration medicine, and environmental health.
The Six Is of Travel Medicine
• Insects Repellents, mosquito nets, antimalarial drugs
• Ingestions Safe drinking water, food
• Indiscretion HIV, sexually transmitted diseases
• Injuries Accident prevention, personal safety
• Immersion Schistosomiasis
• Insurance Coverage and services during travel
Synonyms Emporiatrics, traveler’s medicine, traveller medicine